Sunday, September 18, 2011

Summer Garden Salad




As summer winds down this week, I am coming to terms with the end of another warm season. The leaves are just starting to change and soon we will be seeking the warming comfort of stews, homemade bread and soups. Summer always passes too quickly, with so many exciting obligations, cottages, vacations, pools to be enjoyed! I never get as much time to blog as I plan!

I wanted to spend this last week celebrating our garden. This year we had a huge garden. It was a lot of work but we have been harvesting the benefits for months now. By far the star of our garden this year was the beautiful tomato. We planted, in total, 67 plants. Yes, a tad excessive. But we have had fun trying all of the new heirloom varieties. I can say that I have eaten tomatoes, in some form, at almost all meals for about two months now and I am still craving them. I think I could live on tomatoes like these, daily, for the rest of my life! So, many of the recipes this week have that theme (perhaps I will call it an homage to the tomato).

My first recipe, however, is created from a mixture of many of the vegetables in our garden. All of the veggies, herbs and lettuce used in this salad come from the garden (save and except for the pine nuts). This is an easy summer classic garden salad. I make it regularly throughout the season. It is an excellent way to celebrate the harvest, add whatever you have fresh on hand!

Summer Garden Salad
3 or 4 large handfuls of lettuce (I used arugula and Boston bib)
1 bunch of french breakfast radishes, sliced thinly
large handful of mixed herbs (I used chives, basil, mint, oregano and parsley)
large handful of fresh mixed grape tomatoes, halved 
garden cucumber, sliced thin
small handful of toasted pine nuts

Dressing:
 
Salt 
Pepper
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Dijon Mustard
White Balsamic Vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment