Monday, July 12, 2010

Fig and Prosciutto Pizza


This recipe is based on a recipe by Todd English, that I found years ago. It is a family favourite. The flavours are fantastic together. Figs and Prosciutto is one of my favourite couplings, if you can find fresh figs, use them for this recipe as they are glorious, if impossible to find (especially in my neck of the woods!)
With respect to the cheese, I love chevre or gorgonzola equally, so go with what you like.


Fig and Prosciutto Pizza
Fig Jam
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 springs Rosemary, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
250 g chevre or gorgonzola
handful of walnuts, chopped
Prosciutto
salt and pepper
cornmeal

Heat pizza stone in bottom of oven, to 500 degrees.
Combine fig jam, vinegar, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Cook until jam is melted.
Roll out dough. Place dough on a pizza paddle which has been sprinkled liberally with cornmeal.
Cover the bottom of the crust with the fig mixture.
Follow with a sprinkling of walnuts.
Rip apart two pieces of prosciutto and place them over the walnuts.
Dot pizza with as much cheese as you wish.
Place pizza on pizza stone and cook until well browned (about 5-10 minutes).

3 comments:

  1. I would never of thought of putting figs on a pizza, but hey why not. We love fresh figs, and who doesn't love pizza, thanks will have to try your recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are able to get fresh figs I would definitely recommend this recipe with the fresh figs. Just quarter them and glaze them with a reduction of balsamic and rosemary (instead of using the jam). Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe, it's so different. I never ever thought of putting figs on a pizza. I can't wait to try and make it. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete