Friday, May 14, 2010

St. Lawrence Market - Toronto










On a recent weekend visit with my friend Sarah we let loose in one of my favourite places, the St. Lawrence Market. We had no plans, just visions of beautiful fresh spring produce. As Sarah was one of my partner's in crime when I lived in Italy for the summer semester in 2006, I had a feeling the meal that night would be have an Italian slant. We wandered around the market for a couple of hours, tasting cheese, adoring fresh meat, seafood and produce. We found marrow bones and decided to roast them as a fatty start to our dinner. We made a grown-up mac & cheese for our main and a rhubarb souffle for desert. I will include the recipes for all of these in later posts.

Although I realize St. Lawrence market is likely not as popular of an attraction for the average Toronto visitor as say, the Sky Dome (I know, to me it will always be the Sky Dome!), the CN Tower, the Distillery District or the Theatre, however, when I return to the city there is no place I would rather wander on a Saturday morning. St. Lawrence is over 120 years old, the oldest market in Canada. If you can't find it at the market, it is likely you won't be able to find it anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just recently started my blog http://helpmedavid.blogspot.com

    The name of the blog is Cafe' Americana.

    Anyway, I was scouring foodie sites and ran across yours. I really enjoyed this article and I am looking forward to seeing the recipes.

    Thanks
    David Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments David and Vincent, it is always nice to hear from fellow bloggers!
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. Immigration Consultant Toronto

    ReplyDelete